A bunch of fresh beetroot with leaves
1kg of natural yoghurt
300ml of double cream or crème fraiche
½ to ¾ of a peeled and diced cucumber
3 hardboiled eggs, cooked, shelled and quartered
2 – 3 tbsps chopped dill and chives (or spring onions)
1 stock cube (chicken or vegetable) dissolved in a small amount of water
½ bunch of radishes, washed and sliced into rounds.
Rinse the leaves thoroughly, discarding yellowing and withered ones. Slice the fresh leaves into strips (but discard the stalks) and boil in a small amount of water, with a squeeze of lemon, until soft.
• Scrub the beets and boil in their skins until soft.
• When beets are cool, peel them and then grate or dice.
• Combine the yoghurt and cream. Add drained leaves, beets with their juice, cucumber, radishes, dill & chives and the stock. Add lemon juice to taste if required.
• Chill in fridge.
• Place 2 or 3 egg quarters in each soup bowl and ladle over the cold soup mixture.
• Serve sprinkled with more dill.
N.B. The proportions of ingredients can be varied according to taste, and how thick you want the soup. It can be a meal in itself and is a wonderful colour.
Recipe from Teresa Shaw of Crantock.